You should be registering works in The MLC Portal if:
- You are a music publisher or administrator
- You are a self-administered songwriter, composer or lyricist
See the steps below on how to register works individually.
- If you have a Publisher IPI and want to register many works at a time, you can utilize the Bulk Works Registration Tool using the steps here.
To register your individual work:
- After logging into The MLC Portal, click on the blue box that says View Member - this will take you to the Summary page.
- In the left-hand menu, click the down arrow beside Works Registration, then click Individual Registration Tool.
- On the Register Work page, you must first conduct a search to make sure that work is not already registered.
- This prevents duplicates and increases the accuracy of matching data correctly – matching data is critical to being paid correctly and on time.
- You will see two search boxes - to search for your work by 1) title and 2) writer name. Enter the work title and writer name in their respective search boxes, then click the blue Search button.
- If the search produces zero (0) results or does not find an exact match to your work, that means the work is not already in The MLC Portal, and you can continue registering. Select the blue box that says Create New Work at the bottom right of the page.
- You will be shown the option to use the wizard to walk you through the registration process or to skip to filling out the form yourself.
- If you chose to use the wizard, you will be guided through each section of work details required to register your work.
- If you chose to fill out the form yourself, you'll be taken to a page where you can edit work information by clicking the blue Edit buttons in each section. Please note that you will need the following information to register it as a new work:
- Publisher's share percentage
- Names of the publisher and writer(s)
- NOTE: At least one Composer/Author or Composer writer role is required to submit a work registration. For more info on writer roles, please review our article here.
- Collection percentage for administrator
- Once you have entered all the required information, click the blue Submit button at the bottom of the page.
- A pop-up will appear asking to confirm the creation of the work. Select Create to submit the work or Cancel to go back and update details.
Please note: Members only need to register the publisher’s share for the works they own the rights to. For example, a self-administered songwriter is only required to register their share. Likewise, a publisher or administrator will only register the share of the writer they represent.
If you have any additional questions about registering your works, please reach out to The MLC Support Team here.