Before creating a Member, please review the following information.
Songwriters, Composers and Lyricists (also known as "writers"):
- If you are a fully administered writer, your administrator will be creating an account with The MLC on your behalf. There is no action for you to take at this time.
- If you are a partially administered writer, you will need to create an account only for the works a third party is not administering for you.
- If you are a fully self-administered writer, you will need an account for all of your works.
- If you have an HFA online account, your works already exist in The MLC database, but you will need to create a Member to enter tax and banking information to receive royalties.
- If you have an HFA online account, works you manage already exist in The MLC database, but you will need to create a Member.
To create a Member, follow the steps below:
- Login to The MLC Portal and click on the blue circle with your initials in the top right-hand corner, then select Profile.
- Select the "Members" tab (to the right of the "User" tab), then click the blue Create a Member button on the far right.
- On Step 1, you will be asked to select what type of user you are. Songwriters, composers and lyricists - Remember that you should only create a Member if you are partially or fully self-administered.
- If you're unsure which of the four options to select in the Which type of user are you? section, please review the Membership Quick Guide on The MLC website here.
- On Step 2, fill in the required contact information, then click the Submit button at the bottom.
- The Member will then go through an identity verification process. They will show as "Pending" in the "Member" tab until approved. The verification process usually takes 24-48 hours to complete.
- Once approved, please be sure to enter payment and tax information, as you will not be able to manage the Member's catalog without it. You can enter this information in the "Banking Information" section of the "Member Settings" tab.